Friday, April 1, 2011

Superstitious India!!!


It seems extremely touching and caring when mothers feed dahi-shakkar to anyone who is leaving for a journey or any important job that must be done. The scene is more common during the exams. I still remember my “BOARDS” days when nothing could have been more relieving than dahi-shakkar by mother. It gave a good amount of boost to my confidence.. :) :) :). But why dahi-shakkar and not ice-creams or chocolates or chicken-kabaab :) :) etc etc etc…. Are these just because our ancestors believed that dahi-shakkar brought good luck and annihilated all the evil powers around us? They conferred their beliefs to their descendants and now it has become a practice to consider these beliefs before any commitment.
Whatever the reason be, whether religious, cultural, scientific or environmental these superstitions were greatly followed by Indians. And even today the scenario is no different. We still believe cawing of a black crow indicates the arrival of guests or seeing elephant forecasts successful journey and same with the peacock which is considered lucky during the journey. The most common superstition which can be seen anywhere around India is when you encounter a cat crossing the road ahead of you. It really doesn’t matter whether you are travelling in a SUV or NANO or motor-bike or bicycle or foot, you consider your utmost responsibility to stop and wait for some other person to cross before you so that the ill luck is transferred to him and you are safe and then resume your journey.

In this cosmopolitan world, it is really very hard to find people who will readily accept the fact that they believe in superstitions. If someone inquires about me I would say “I am definitely not superstitious but why to take risks?”. There is no harm in following these beliefs. They just take off any sort of tension that might mount during some important venture. Moreover they help in building confidence when somebody or someone wishes good luck.
Most of the superstitions we follow are unsubstantial, unjustified, unreliable, appear false and funny. Let’s recall the scintillating cricket match between India and Pakistan in the CWC’11. We all might have been doing something cute and different that we wouldn’t have done if it was just another cricket match. I remember how I entered the TV hall 2 hours prior to the commencement of the match and tried to remain in a constant position throughout the match. I relaxed myself during the ad-breaks but back in the same position when the game resumed. No switching of channels even during the ad-breaks. If there was something urgent I made it sure that it was quick enough to be finished off in a ad-break’s time. These breaks were quite a relief otherwise I would have stuck in the constant posture for hours…:) :) :)
It would be unfair if people blatantly say that they do not follow any of the superstitions. I myself have a funny belief that if we shave our beards during the exams, everything that we have mugged up will be lost….. People do follow superstitions but they are not superstitions any more they are habits…..

No comments:

Post a Comment